Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Conversation with an Insurance Agent

I wanted to do this blog not because of any news story I've seen, but because of a conversation I had with a health insurance agent. I wasn't aware of some of the changes that were happening because of Obamacare. Since I have changed jobs, I am currently not covered by any health insurance because I have not been in my current job long enough to be eligible for their insurance. As I spoke to people at work they said it would be a good option to try and just buy insurance outright because the plan offered through work was expensive and had services I wouldn't need. I was then given a number of an insurance
agent.

I called to see what sort of rates I would be able to get. I am a healthy and active adult with no preexisting conditions. During the conversation the agent said that under the current system I would need to take a survey of about 100 questions to determine my health. After he laid out two different options he then proceeded to tell me I could only have insurance for 1 year. When I asked why, he responded, Obamacare. Under the new law, if I am to purchase insurance by myself privately right now because it's cheaper and more customizable than my employer, that coverage will disappear after one year and be replaced by new insurance options that conform to the Obamacare rules. What he then proceeded to tell me was that as of right now they do not know how much each plan will cost but enrollment in the government plans will start in the coming months. Also, because I am a young and healthy adult, I will likely have to pay more for  that government insurance plans than the private plan I am looking at now. Because Obamacare no longer allows for questions regarding preexisting conditions, young people like myself will need to subsidize the cost of others with health problems. Also, under the new government plans I will be required to have services I do not want or need.


Now, for many the preexisting conditions exception sounds wonderful. But it will make millions of people like me have to pay more. I will be penalized for living a healthy lifestyle and taking care of myself. Also, when talking to the agent he laid out a scenario for me. There are 3 versions of me, identical in almost every single way. One is me, healthy and active. The second is exactly like me but does heroin. The third is exactly like number one, but smokes cigarettes.  Under the current system, me and the heroin addict will pay the same for health insurance but the smoker will pay 1.5 times more than me. For a law that removes preexisting conditions, this seems to be a problem. Insurance agents are not allowed to ask any questions other than your basic info (name, address, SSN..etc) and "do you smoke." Now if we are eliminating questions regarding obesity or drug use, why do smokers get penalized? Also, why am I getting penalized? I am healthy, I am active, I eat organic foods, but when it comes to my insurance I will pay the same amount as an overweight drug addict. Insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment